Friday, September 27, 2013

revenge of the rip tide!

Last Saturday, I went to the beach with 2 friends. It was my first time visiting this beach, Playa Hermosa, it is just south of Jaco. We have been told time and time again about the dangerous rip tide, but we hadn't even taken the time to consider it before a friend went in for a swim. We were only about 10 minutes into our beach day... Elle and I were sitting in our beach chairs and Ruth was swimming. All of the sudden we heard a loud scream, "HELP!!!!" My stomach sank, Elle and I looked at each other and started running as fast as we could to the water. Elle looked to me and said, "Are you a stronger swimmer, I used to be a life guard" Quickly, I replied, "Yes, but maybe you should go." So I stayed about knee-deep and Elle started swimming in.... the waves were big and I was nervous. Elle got about chest deep and turned back to me and gave me a look that can only be described as hopeless and afraid. She told me to yell for help and that's when I knew we were in trouble, serious trouble. I started screaming, screaming as loud as I could, "HELP! HELP! Someone please help us!" I really can't remember, but all I know is I was scared, Elle was trying to work her way back in and I was trying to keep my eyes on Ruth, making sure she had her head above water... the waves were so big I'd lose her... at one point I couldn't see her head... one wave came... then another... still no Ruth. Finally her head popped up... thank goodness!!!! Sometime during all of that a surfer came running toward us and yelled at me to get back to the sand. He headed out into the ocean in full rescue mode. Another guy started swimming out too and helped Elle as she made it back to shore. It felt like forever... Elle and I standing on shore waiting... hoping, both thinking we were watching our friend die. A crowd had built up upon the shore... all hoping that Ruth would be okay. The surfer made his way out to her and luckily she had the energy to keep herself above water and she was okay. He helped her onto the board and swam about 50 yards to the left before bringing her in. There were about 10 other surfers in the water ready to help as needed. We were so lucky. Had we been on that beach alone there's no telling what the outcome may have been. It was by far the scariest experience in my life. We learned a valuable lesson that day... to always always always check the currents. Watch the water and be so cautious while we swim. We were lucky... but I don't ever want to experience that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment